KF5 Volunteer day 1: Done

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:57:31 UTC 2012

Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:

> We have just pushed Antonis' branch with the name "frameworks-kactions"
> and now
> we will push mine. (I will post here again about my branch when it will be
> pushed)

Thanks for joining the frameworks effort.

The only think I would ask is to please rebase your effort into frameworks
whenever it is ready - don't merge it in. It makes the history far less
readable. Particularly as I expect there will be a lot of 'fix commits' and
untidyness. This is also to be expected I guess for people new to git.

For example, the commit 'Modify header guards' actually also adds a file
which you forgot to add to the previous commit. That should be squashed into
the commit where it should have been (you can always do that before you
push). See the commands git commit --ammend, git add -p, and git rebase -i.
In fact, the part of that commit that actually modifies the header include
guard should be part of the commit 'split kdeui/colors into
kguiaddons/src/colors and kcolorwidgets'.

This is the kind of cleanup you should be aware of being possible (using the
git commands I listed) before you push (to any branch).

Also in the branch I notice the CMake style is all wrong, though I guess
it's just copied from elsewhere. You use CAPITALS for the command names
(should be lowercase), 8 spaces (should be 2), have non empty endif(),
endmacro() etc (should be empty).

The thing is though that you can fix it because you created a branch instead
of doing it in frameworks directly. When it's fixed it can be rebased into
frameworks. If you want help with that, just ask. Maybe we can make a
tutorial out of this case.

Clean readable history is important for now and for the future.

Thanks,

Steve.