KDEInstallDirs.cmake in extra-cmake-modules

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 17:01:26 UTC 2012

On Saturday 18 February 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Friday 17 February 2012 00:41:49 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 February 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > > I'd still go with kf5.

> > > I think kf5 is a name that kde can own anyway, and which we can use.
> >
> > I mean, "kde" is a well-known name, we should not hide it.
>
> That's trying to put some marketing details in a technical aspect IMHO. It
> should map to the product, and product code name if KF5.

No, it's not.
See my other mail.
Currently there is no "KF5", and there are no plans to have one.
Instead we have plans to make a set of libraries which are called together
"KDE frameworks".

KDEInstallDirs.cmake is in extra-cmake-modules since yesterday.
This is definitely not a "KF5InstallDirs.cmake". There is nothing in it which
is KF5-specific.

All it contains is a set of install directory variables and locations which
are used and recommended by the KDE team since a long time.

You can perfectly use this file with KDE4, or with a plain Qt application, or
for a C gtk application.

This is completely analogous to GNUInstallDirs.cmake which comes with cmake.
It contains install locations recommended by the GNU project, but you can use
it for anything.

Alex