Requiring Qt5 ?

Jon Severinsson jon at severinsson.net
Fri Dec 21 08:53:42 UTC 2012

onsdagen den 19 december 2012 18:04:35 skrev  David Faure:
>On Wednesday 19 December 2012 17:28:29 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> now that Qt 5.0.0 has been released, what is the plan with requiring it ?
>> ASAP or wait to see whether there are issues with it ?
>
> I would like to drop Qt4 support now, yes.

So would I.

> The only condition is, as discussed here recently, that all unittests should
> pass first with Qt5 (so can start from a clean baseline, and not have to
> wonder if a failure comes from a Qt4/Qt5 difference or from the KF5 changes).

To have shuch a "cean baseline", we don't need to have all tests passing, only
have the exact same failures on a Qt4 and a Qt5 build.

> Current state on my machine:
> * kcalendartest fails due to ki18n move (Jon/John, please fix or simply add
>   expected failures if everything is logical in the current state of things)

I'll try to give this a go, but currently I don't know enough about i18n to
even isolate the cause. I' going on a 2 week holiday starting this weekend,
we'll see if that is enough to learn...

Note: It also fails due to QDate changes in Qt5. I've got a patch for that
[1], but it breaks Qt4, and in it's current incarnation it depends on some
unrelated changes that is stuck on reviewboard (more input welcome), I'll see
if I can reorder my local patches and move it to the top.

1: https://github.com/jonseverinsson/kdelibs/commit/c9c06d9ef7a199

> * ktoolbar_unittest, Qt5 bug, for me to fix I guess
> * kfileplacesmodeltest, for Kévin to fix
> * plasma-runnercontexttest and plasma-storage - I just wrote in #plasma
> with hope, after fixing the obvious stuff a few days ago.
>
> If you (anyone) experience anything else, please debug, fix, or report
> here. (Make sure to do this in a separate dbus session as indicated on the
> wiki page; I'll look into fixing kio|klauncher so that this isn't
> necessary anymore)

I'm currently seeing 8 errors on Qt5 and 6 errors on Qt4. Note that
ktoolbar_unittest passes for me, because of a local Qt5 commit [2] that I have
submitted to codereview.

Identical failures:
kdecore-kshelltest
kdecore-ktcpsockettest (intermittent on both Qt4 and Qt5)
kdecore-kcalendartest (ki18n error)
kio-kdirlistertest
kmimeassociationstest

Qt4 only:
kdecore-kurltest

Qt5 only:
kdecore-kcalendartest (qdate error)
kfile-kfileplacesmodeltest
plasma-runnercontexttest
plasma-storage

[2]: https://codereview.qt-project.org/43268

>> I guess libinqt5/ can be removed then ?
>
> Yes, and kde_qt5_compat.h.

We will, however need to keep libkdeqt5staging, even though all of it
hopefully will go into qt 5.1-git soonish, because we will want to support
5.0.x releases at least until there is a 5.1.0 release.

Regards
Jon Severinsson