Definition of done - warning

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Aug 7 17:37:59 UTC 2012

El Dimarts, 7 d'agost de 2012, a les 16:56:01, Kevin Ottens va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> Looks like it got overlooked. ;-)
>
> On Saturday 07 July 2012 12:20:01 Benjamin Port wrote:
> > Currently when we build kdelibs there are lots of warnings. That's why I
> > suggest to add a remove all warnings in the definition of done.
> >
> > But we can't remove all warnings, indeed some warnings come from moc file
> > (deprecated slots) and from unit test where we want to test the behavior
> > of
> > deprecated method.
> >
> > For the first one I don't have any idea to manage that (and I think there
> > is no solution)
> > For unit test we can add to gcc the -Wno-deprecated-declarations option.
> > Perhaps we can do that by adding a test macro defined in ecm.
> >
> > So I suggest to have the following definition of done:
> > "Remove all warning except in moc files (deprecated slot)"
> >
> > Yes that is lot of work but I think if we manage to do that, in the future
> > we can easely continu to have a warningless code.
>
> I generally agree with that proposal. I would completely welcome such a
> move, that said it raises a couple of points:
>  * If we make such a change, the situation regarding the unit tests should
> be investigated, and if a macro is needed in ECM it has to be in place
> before the change for the definition of done is applied;
>  * It generally raises the follow up question of the level of warning we
> want to force, right now by default I got -Wall + some extra warnings[*] is
> it enforced for everyone right now? How far to we want to go? What about -
> pedantic?
>  * And the extra question, once we got there, do we want -Werror?
> (apparently not doable because of deprecated slots though?)
>
> I remember David and Laurent pushing the bar quite a bit regarding the
> warnings but then they gave up because people kept not caring enough about
> those... -Werror by default would help there I think. :-)

-Werror is the worst thing ever, i've been forced to use it at work for some
projects and it is a hideous thing that breaks the compilation half of the
time while you are developing just because you left an unused variable
somethwere, please don't force it on us.

Cheers,
  Albert