Definition of done - warning

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Aug 7 14:56:01 UTC 2012

Hello,

Looks like it got overlooked. ;-)

On Saturday 07 July 2012 12:20:01 Benjamin Port wrote:
> Currently when we build kdelibs there are lots of warnings. That's why I
> suggest to add a remove all warnings in the definition of done.
>
> But we can't remove all warnings, indeed some warnings come from moc file
> (deprecated slots) and from unit test where we want to test the behavior of
> deprecated method.
>
> For the first one I don't have any idea to manage that (and I think there is
> no solution)
> For unit test we can add to gcc the -Wno-deprecated-declarations option.
> Perhaps we can do that by adding a test macro defined in ecm.
>
> So I suggest to have the following definition of done:
> "Remove all warning except in moc files (deprecated slot)"
>
> Yes that is lot of work but I think if we manage to do that, in the future
> we can easely continu to have a warningless code.

I generally agree with that proposal. I would completely welcome such a move,
that said it raises a couple of points:
 * If we make such a change, the situation regarding the unit tests should be
investigated, and if a macro is needed in ECM it has to be in place before the
change for the definition of done is applied;
 * It generally raises the follow up question of the level of warning we want
to force, right now by default I got -Wall + some extra warnings[*] is it
enforced for everyone right now? How far to we want to go? What about -
pedantic?
 * And the extra question, once we got there, do we want -Werror? (apparently
not doable because of deprecated slots though?)

I remember David and Laurent pushing the bar quite a bit regarding the
warnings but then they gave up because people kept not caring enough about
those... -Werror by default would help there I think. :-)

Regards.

[*] Here I get without me doing anything special: "-Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-
long-long -ansi -Wundef -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-
arith -Wformat-security -Woverloaded-virtual -Werror=return-type"
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net