Where to put KDE Frameworks cmake stuff...

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:08:41 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> White: no kdelibs at all anymore, but 20 separate libraries. Gnome world ?

I'm not sure it will be so granular.

A lot of our code is for the benefit of 'KDE' only, and not useful for Qt
developers looking for re-usable libraries. The code that is useful already,
we can split out, and that is ongoing. For the rest, I don't see much point
in splitting it up at all.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.frameworks/473/focus=485:

> > The contents of kde_ui_integration would be hopefully
> > everything that's left after moving out everything that can go into
> > kwidgetsaddons.
>
> Totally agree.

So I think there will be something like kdeui, kdecore, etc (with different
names) for the 'KDE stuff' and everything too tied to KDE to make sense to
split out and 'advertise' as a solution for Qt developers (like KParts
maybe?).

Some of the kdelibs stuff could make sense for Qt developers to use, but
would need to be re-written so much that it would make more sense to re-
design and re-implement it from scratch as something intended to be used by
Qt developers.

We'll split out what we can (we don't have the manpower for more than that),
and the rest we probably won't need to split at all, so let's not worry too
much about having so many libraries that we can't handle them anymore.

Thanks,

Steve.