Recommended way for bigger changes in git ?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:15:02 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Thursday 19 April 2012, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the next time I'll have to update extra-cmake-modules and
>> kdelisbs/frameworks dependent on it.
>>
>> How should I do this ?
>>
>> Simply push to both repositories more or less at the same time ?
>> AFAIK you don't want me to increase the version number of e-c-m, which
>> would handle this issue ?
>> Send notification emails somewhere ?
>>
>> When updating kdelibs and pushing, what is the correct way to do it ?
>> There were long discussions e.g. on k-c-d about the proper way to merge,
>> commit and push, and I couldn't really follow.
>> So, what is the recommended way to use git in the frameworks branch ?
>
> So I will just pull and push from the frameworks branch and it will be
> fine ?

Please do this first:

git config --global branch.autosetuprebase always

And before pushing, use gitk to see if you're submitting merges that you
didn't intend to submit.

You might also consider reading these pages to get a basic understanding of
what you can do after committing and before pushing:

http://progit.org/book/ch2-3.html

http://progit.org/book/ch3-6.html

http://progit.org/book/ch6-2.html

http://progit.org/book/ch6-3.html