Recommended way for bigger changes in git ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Apr 20 15:38:15 UTC 2012

On Thursday 19 April 2012, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the next time I'll have to update extra-cmake-modules and
> kdelisbs/frameworks dependent on it.
>
> How should I do this ?
>
> Simply push to both repositories more or less at the same time ?
> AFAIK you don't want me to increase the version number of e-c-m, which
> would handle this issue ?
> Send notification emails somewhere ?
>
> When updating kdelibs and pushing, what is the correct way to do it ?
> There were long discussions e.g. on k-c-d about the proper way to merge,
> commit and push, and I couldn't really follow.
> So, what is the recommended way to use git in the frameworks branch ?

So I will just pull and push from the frameworks branch and it will be fine ?

I have seen complaints like "you should/should not cherry-pick" or different
ways of merging.

So just
$ git pull
$ git commit
$ git push
is fine ?

This page is basically untouched since June last year:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Git_Workflow

Also, it would be nice if it would also contain the commands which have to be
used to do what is suggested there.

Alex