RFC: blocking DBus calls

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Nov 8 09:03:02 UTC 2011

On Saturday 05 November 2011 13:00:14 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi... another policy suggestion:
>
> DBus calls made from within classes should always be async calls and not
> block the class unless one of the following conditions is met:
>
> * The class can easily be put into a separate thread, so as not to block the
> host application.
>
> * The DBus call can be guaranteed to take a minimal round trip time
> ("instant" reply gaurantee)
>
> .. this is another one we keep getting hit with in Plasma, krunner and
> elsewhere. usually it's just "lazy" programming and it absolutely destroys
> user interface fluidity, which is more and more important as we move to more
> animated and fluid UIs.

Seems sensible, but I guess the whole arguing will be over "minimal round trip
time". What concrete issues did you end up having?

Oh no, I know what you're going to answer .... kservice calling kbuildsycoca4
which can take a long time... I still need to come up with a better design for
that stuff ... somewhen.