kactivities

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 20:37:22 UTC 2011

On Monday 05 December 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi..
>
> the Plasma team is working on the kactivities repository with the idea in
> mind that it is a "frameworks 5" style project right from the start.
>
> it currently contains a library (libkactivities), a runtime componen
> (kactivitymanagerd) and some runtime data (ontologies).
>
> what it currently lacks is full unit test coverage and upstreaming of
> Find*.cmake files (it carries with it its own FindKActivities.cmake; i will
> email buildsystem about this one ..)

Two comments: a library should not install a find-module for itself, this
doesn't make sense (like putting the remote control on the TV, or the treasure
map inside the treasure chest), because once you found the find-module, the
hard work is already done, the location where the package is has been found.

So, instead it should install a Config.cmake file, which instead of searching
for an installed kaktivities library contains information about the installed
kactivities library.
There is documentation in the cmake wiki, and the buildsystem example in kde-
example shows how to do that.
But this example needs some more work.

Then, once it installs such a Config.cmake file, a find-module is strictly not
necessary anymore, since cmake knows a set of directories (including using
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH) where to search for them.
Personally I still like to have a minimal find-module in that case two, which
basically does two things:
-at the top it contains documentation, so you know which variables to use for
that package
-then it contains a
find_package(Foo NO_MODULE )
call, which basically forwards the searching to the Config.cmake file.

Alex