kactivities

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Dec 6 17:03:59 UTC 2011

On Monday 05 December 2011 01:10:36 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the Plasma team is working on the kactivities repository with the idea in
> mind that it is a "frameworks 5" style project right from the start.

Right.

> it currently contains a library (libkactivities), a runtime componen
> (kactivitymanagerd) and some runtime data (ontologies).
>
> what it currently lacks is full unit test coverage and upstreaming of
> Find*.cmake files (it carries with it its own FindKActivities.cmake; i will
> email buildsystem about this one ..)
>
> the library currently has a kdecore dependency, but with Frameworks 5 / Qt 5
> that will drop to a QtCore dependency.
>
> the daemon currently holds a kdeui dependency, but with Frameworks 5 it will
> drop to a dependency on libkdbus. it also curently uses KConfig,
> KWindowSystem and Nepomuk. if we rely exclusively on Nepomuk, the KConfig
> dependency can be dropped (or it could be turned into QSettings, even, as
> it doesn't need the features of KConfig at all). KWindowSystem should be
> splitting out to its own framework as well from kdeui (Marting Gräßlin has
> spoken to me about plans for this a bit already ..)
>
> so .. if all is good with everyone, i'd like to put this on the "splitting
> kdelibs" epic as targeting a Tier 2 Functional Framework. Kevin: did i get
> that taxonomy correct?

More likely a Tier 3 Solution.

Tier 3 since AFAIK the window system framework will end up being Tier 2.
Solution since it has a mandatory runtime dependency as part of its design
(because of kactivitymanagerd, but also nepomuk).

Regarding the Tier, always keep in mind what's in the table is the *foreseen*
level it'll end up in (until framework is marked done of course), if some of
the dependencies end up Tier 1 for instance, or are simply cut it might end up
lower in the stack.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net