version # in frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Dec 5 17:43:48 UTC 2011

On Monday 05 December 2011 15:00:17 Mario Fux wrote:
> Am Sonntag 04 Dezember 2011, 23.53:14 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > hi..
>
> Morning
>
> > currently in the top level CMakeLists.txt file in frameworks we have this:
> I've now idea if this is complete bullshit and not necessary at all but I
> dare to mention it nonetheless...
>
> > set (KDE_VERSION_MAJOR 4)
> > set (KDE_VERSION_MINOR 7)
> > set (KDE_VERSION_RELEASE 40)
> > set (KDE_VERSION "${KDE_VERSION_MAJOR}.${KDE_VERSION_MINOR}.
> > ${KDE_VERSION_RELEASE}" )
> > set (KDE_VERSION_STRING "${KDE_VERSION} (4.7.40 (KDE 4.8 >= 20110623)")
> >
> > this should be bumped imho to reflect that this is the "5.0" version.
> > should we do the usual "4.90"?
>
> As there is no KDE (as in software, but as in community) which can be
> released (or versioned) and as we want to underline this fact more and more
> shouldn't we change this variables?
>
> Or is it too much work for too less value?

We could move this up to a tier 4 library, which will be released as part of
KDE SC, so that all KDE SC apps show the same version number.

For the frameworks themselves... well, it depends, actually. If they're
released together with KDE SC then it makes sense that they have the same
version number (and it will makes everything simpler of course).
But we have nowhere to share these numbers, since the goal is no common
dependency. So at release time we'll have to increase the numbers of all the
frameworks independently.