[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Charts framework

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Sun May 22 02:29:42 CEST 2011

Well, perhaps a solution would be to talk to KDAB and find a way
that's more suitable to work with them.
Perhaps, if all the apps agree on a common tool, we can leverage that
for bargaining.

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Cristian Oneț <onet.cristian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Guillaume DE BURE
> <guillaume.debure at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since I have been going trough the KDChart code lately I will be the
> one 'defending' it :) here.
> 1. I don't think we can come up with a homebrew charts lib that's
> better then the one from KDCharts with the resources we have in
> reasonable time (and the desire to do this seems to me like the NIH
> [1] syndrome)

It's way powerful, much more powerful than we'll use, yet it doesn't
fit some of our needs. Even if we get response from KDAB, they are
very clear about their priorities, and that's their paying customers,
not us. Which is fine and good, but if we could find a solution that
fits better to us, then I'd be happier.

It doesn't necessarily mean building our own, just something that
suits us better. Perhaps some of the math applications have a good
charting solution.

> 2. jqplot and other JS base chart libs (ExtJS) are nice but it means
> using a HTML part and writing all the connection code between the
> application and the HTML part, anyone up to this?
> 3. KDChart seems a nice lib and it's native C++ (I'm not into all that
> JS hipe :) )

I know there's a lot of hype regarding QML and JS use. Believe me, as
a MeeGo developer I can tell you the JS way is not good at all. We
avoid using .js files if possible and the integration with QML and
then C++ is not good yet.
C++ still rocks. :)

Regards,
Alvaro