[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Charts framework

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Sat May 21 23:19:53 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Guillaume DE BURE
<guillaume.debure at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le samedi 21 mai 2011 20:14:55, Stéphane MANKOWSKI a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Skrooge, we are using our own component.
>> This is a class named skgtablewithgraph in the library libskgbasegui.so.
>> This class is able to draw graph for a given table of data.
>>
>> This class is published as a plug-in for QTDesigner, so you should be able to
>> test it easily (You just have to call seData).
>>
>> Personally, I am satisfied even if I am ready to change for a more powerful
>> component.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stephane
>
> As a matter of fact, this is one of the thing that I always wanted to do in Skrooge, use an external charting library. The aim would be to draw nicer charts (Skrooge ones aren't especially sexy, even if they do the job : we are no artists :p).
>
> Since there doesn't seem to be a satisfying solution in Qt4, i totally agree with the idea of starting a common library. Maybe you guys could have a look at Stéphane's code, and tell us if you're interested in using it ? If yes, I suggest we use it as a basis for this new library.
>
> If not, we still have more options:
> * Start something from scratch
> * Use something not Qt4 based. jqplot could indeed be an option : after all, with all the things happening around QML & javascript in the KDE world, it would seem quite logical.
> * Expand on the currently not-so satisfying options: qwt ?

Since I have been going trough the KDChart code lately I will be the
one 'defending' it :) here.
1. I don't think we can come up with a homebrew charts lib that's
better then the one from KDCharts with the resources we have in
reasonable time (and the desire to do this seems to me like the NIH
[1] syndrome)
2. jqplot and other JS base chart libs (ExtJS) are nice but it means
using a HTML part and writing all the connection code between the
application and the HTML part, anyone up to this?
3. KDChart seems a nice lib and it's native C++ (I'm not into all that
JS hipe :) )

Regards,
Cristian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here