[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Billing transaction fields

samir sam1487 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:35:00 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on Friday 03 June 2011 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>

> > Changed the subject as it wasn't current anymore.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:32 AM, samir <sam1487 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I was wondering what fields I should take as input from the user in the
> > > mobile client software I am working on. The purpose is to let a user
> > > input a transaction he did with as few typing as possible, thereby
> > > recording just what is required. I would like to know which fields I
> must
> > > include, so that when I export the transactions to a xml, I can use the
> > > file to import it into any financial application. Such an import will
> > > adjust the accounts that will change due to the transaction. I would
> like
> > > to ensure the fact that I am taking enough information from the user to
> > > update these accounts.
> > >
> > > These are the fields I have thought of:
> > >
> > > UId
> > > transaction_description (
> > > additional_note
> >
> > what's the difference between the 2 fields above?

I have considered transaction_description to be imported into any financial
app as the title of the transaction so this would probably be a formal text.
I thought maybe additional_note could be kept to serve as a sort of memo,
record some personal opinion or comments.

> > > payment_mode (cash, credit card, debit)
> >
> > + payment account (eg. which savings acct or credit card you used)

To select one of the 'which', I will need to have those accounts created
into the mobile client. So which accounts should I include with the software
by default?

> > > amount
> > > datetime_of_transaction
> > > transaction_type (change in expense, liability or asset)
> >
> > + transaction account/category (eg. what kind of expense it was. Was
> > it groceries, oil, furniture, utilities, etc.)
> >

> > I think not all of those fields should be required, but it would be
> > nice to have them, to allow for a better matching when present.
>
> The mobile application should have a capability to load the list of
> accounts/categories from the desktop system. That way, an assignment of
> those
> items to the transaction is a lot easier.

Why do I need to load the accounts from the desktop? How about the idea of
building the app with the list of all sorts of accounts pre-installed? I am
saying this considering the fact that importing accounts from the desktop
before using the client software may introduce another step for an user to
the get started with the system, and might compromise the overall ease in
using the app. I realize that user-created accounts will not be usable in
the mobile client software if this approach is considered. But what I think
is that a user will be tempted to record basic transactions, probably those
of a lower importance, on the hand-held device and record the more important
business-intensive transactions on a more robust system such as a PC. These
basic transactions deal with the basic accounts that we expect all users to
maintain. So if what I am thinking is right, we might not need to worry
about user-created accounts. Let me know what you think on this.

> A currency field would become handy in case you travel a lot to foreign
> countries.
>

> --
>
> Regards
>
> Thomas Baumgart
>
> GPG-FP: E55E D592 F45F 116B 8429   4F99 9C59 DB40 B75D D3BA

samir
{ www.incurlybraces.com }