[Kde-finance-apps] Brainstorming requirements for an Alkimia Quotes Backend: Feedback/Reality-Check Needed Please :)

Brian Cappello briancappello at gmail.com
Sat May 22 05:58:57 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Fernando Vilas <fvilas at iname.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 21, 2010 16:58:16 Brian Cappello wrote:
> [...]>
> >   Intraday Quotes/Company Info/Fundamentals: Query the backend with a
> > ticker symbol and desired parameter(s?); get results back.
> >
> > Input:
> >
> > Symbol
> >

> >  Output Parameters: [What does everybody want? What am I forgetting/don't
> > know about? What kind of a balance between “base” statistics and
> “derived”
> > statistics are we trying to achieve?]
> >

> >  (high priority: required)
> >
> > struct (OHLCV) [Date/Time, Open, High, Low, Close, Volume[, Open
> Interest]]
> > (Should this strictly be a part of the historical backend, or also
> provided
> > here for convenience?)
> >
> > struct (POHLCV) [[Previous] Date/Time, Open, High, Low, Close, Volume[,
> > Open Interest]] (Should this strictly be a part of the historical
> backend,
> > or also provided here for convenience?)
> [snip lots of fields]
>
> We had a request on the KMM list a while back for tracking Beta. It is the
> way
> that volatility is measured for the CAPM style models. Folks doing
> portfolio
> analysis tend to like that particular statistic, and Yahoo! has it on their
> pages. If it is easy to get in the csv, I would say to grab it as well.

I'm not familiar with Beta, but I can definitely add it. It's not provided
in the CSV so I'm going to need to do some research into regular
expressions/parsing websites, but that's fine, because it's needed for the
majority of these options.

> >  (high priority: required)
> >
> > Historical Data: Downloaded and/or imported locally from CSV. Support CSV
> > export. Primary source (Yahoo/OtherInternetz/local CSV directory) should
> be
> > configurable (to not exclude users who have paid for higher quality data
> > sources than Yahoo).
> >

> ACK. Historical quotes are a slightly different animal from current quotes,
> but
> it is an area that has not yet been addressed in KMM. I do not know if
> other
> apps have some code that would help, though.

I do have some code, but its time-conversion algorithm isn't based relative
to the oldest data, it doesn't have support for adjusting prices, and
there's no logic for all the various corner cases of merging two sets of
data. Otherwise, it more or less works as advertised. Getting it to work
over DBus will probably be my biggest challenge... :)