[Kde-finance-apps] Brainstorming requirements for an Alkimia Quotes Backend: Feedback/Reality-Check Needed Please :)

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Sat May 22 04:08:42 CEST 2010

On Friday, May 21, 2010 16:58:16 Brian Cappello wrote:
[...]>
>   Intraday Quotes/Company Info/Fundamentals: Query the backend with a
> ticker symbol and desired parameter(s?); get results back.
>
> Input:
>
> Symbol
>

>  Output Parameters: [What does everybody want? What am I forgetting/don't
> know about? What kind of a balance between “base” statistics and “derived”
> statistics are we trying to achieve?]
>

>  (high priority: required)
>
> struct (OHLCV) [Date/Time, Open, High, Low, Close, Volume[, Open Interest]]
> (Should this strictly be a part of the historical backend, or also provided
> here for convenience?)
>
> struct (POHLCV) [[Previous] Date/Time, Open, High, Low, Close, Volume[,
> Open Interest]] (Should this strictly be a part of the historical backend,
> or also provided here for convenience?)
[snip lots of fields]

We had a request on the KMM list a while back for tracking Beta. It is the way
that volatility is measured for the CAPM style models. Folks doing portfolio
analysis tend to like that particular statistic, and Yahoo! has it on their
pages. If it is easy to get in the csv, I would say to grab it as well.

>  (high priority: required)
>
> Historical Data: Downloaded and/or imported locally from CSV. Support CSV
> export. Primary source (Yahoo/OtherInternetz/local CSV directory) should be
> configurable (to not exclude users who have paid for higher quality data
> sources than Yahoo).

ACK. Historical quotes are a slightly different animal from current quotes, but
it is an area that has not yet been addressed in KMM. I do not know if other
apps have some code that would help, though.

[snip rest of email]

> Well, I guess that's about what I think we'd eventually want. But it's also
> probably *really* ambitious... at least to complete all of that within 3
> months. But, I also have no intention of stopping after mid-August so, yea.

It is normally better to have more work than schedule. It often makes for
amazing results, and if the work does not get finished, it makes planning for
release n+1 easy :-).

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas