[Kde-finance-apps] Work on Alkimia during SoK

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Fri May 21 21:16:18 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Brian Cappello <briancappello at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> this is just so that we can organize ourselves. Here's my proposal for
>> the work on Alkimia that came up during this week.
>>
>> Brian, if you are interested, you could work on a DBus service that
>> retrieves stock values via web or an import file and stores them for
>> later use (that same storage as Mukesh has to use). That DBus service
>> should allow for queries (so that Santosh can use it for his
>> application). Also, a GUI could be available to show the stored
>> stocks, with charts, sheets, et al.
>

> Oh man I'm definitely interested! I was able to do (some) reading on DBus
> and KDChart last night, and both seem pretty sweet. So yea, I think I'm
> gonna put my little playground on the back burner and really get into trying
> to make a sweet quote service all of KDE can use. :) I'm curious what kind
> of scope you guys had in mind for such a service. At least initially, I was
> thinking keep it basic with just intraday quotes, company infos, and maybe
> some fundamentals ripped from Yahoo's Key Statistics page.
>
> Is there also interest in having historical quotes provided by Alkimia?
> Something along the lines of provide a symbol, time period, select
> absolute/adjusted prices, provide a start date/time (latest if none
> provided), the number of bars back from the start to return (supporting both
> directly as an int or as a specified length of time units eg 5 years), and
> (optionally) a maximum lookback period so indicators can use “hidden” data;
> get results back.

Yes, we are really interested in having historical quotes. Think of
people having financial information going back 10+ years, who could
use having a detailed price history of their investments.

Also, having different sources is a premium, because not all stocks
are available in yahoo or any other single-source. Think of users all
around the globe.