[Kde-finance-apps] Work on Alkimia during SoK

Brian Cappello briancappello at gmail.com
Fri May 21 19:32:12 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> this is just so that we can organize ourselves. Here's my proposal for
> the work on Alkimia that came up during this week.
>
> Brian, if you are interested, you could work on a DBus service that
> retrieves stock values via web or an import file and stores them for
> later use (that same storage as Mukesh has to use). That DBus service
> should allow for queries (so that Santosh can use it for his
> application). Also, a GUI could be available to show the stored
> stocks, with charts, sheets, et al.

Oh man I'm definitely interested! I was able to do (some) reading on DBus
and KDChart last night, and both seem pretty sweet. So yea, I think I'm
gonna put my little playground on the back burner and really get into trying
to make a sweet quote service all of KDE can use. :) I'm curious what kind
of scope you guys had in mind for such a service. At least initially, I was
thinking keep it basic with just intraday quotes, company infos, and maybe
some fundamentals ripped from Yahoo's Key Statistics page.

Is there also interest in having historical quotes provided by Alkimia?
Something along the lines of  provide a symbol, time period, select
absolute/adjusted prices, provide a start date/time (latest if none
provided), the number of bars back from the start to return (supporting both
directly as an int or as a specified length of time units eg 5 years), and
(optionally) a maximum lookback period so indicators can use “hidden” data;
get results back.

> Cristian, would you agree to co-mentor Brian with me? We have both
> done some work on these areas, so we can help out.

You guys are too awesome! I can't say enough thank yous! :D