[Kde-finance-apps] help on a new application

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Thu May 20 21:34:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Brian Cappello <briancappello at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Brian,
>> would you consider working on this project too, since you have
>> experience with retrieving stocks?
>> You could focus your application on displaying the data of the stocks,
>> and move the retrieve and storage code to Alkimia, where other apps
>> can query it.
>> It's a bold move, but it seems a natural fit, if you feel like
>> participating.
>
> This is definitely something I'd be interested in! I can't say I know
> anything about creating library code or working with DBus, but it seems
> there's always something new to learn. :)

Most of us are going to be using DBus for the first time, so you won't
be alone there. :)

> Also, I don't know if it might be useful or not, but I wouldn't mind trying
> to "generalize" the chart code so it could be used for visualizing data in
> other apps aside from just stocks. Maybe a KPart? I dunno what would be the
> correct approach to such an idea.

For charts, in KMyMoney we are using kdchart, a GPL library developed
by KDAB, and used by KOffice too.
So far, it seems to fit our needs and the support has been responsive
whenever we have found problems.
I think you might find that easier to use, and it is definitively easy
to get started with. The kreportchartview class in KMyMoney has a
working example of that.