[Kde-finance-apps] help on a new application

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu May 20 21:11:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

on Thursday 20 May 2010 Brian Cappello wrote:

> Hi Santosh,
> I think you've got an absolutely great idea here! I too am a newbie, but I
> can at least say that one way to get intraday stock quotes is by
> downloading/reading CSV files from Yahoo.

Hello to the 'new kids on the block' and a warm welcome also from my end. I am
probably more of an oldie these days around here (though I know there are
still others with more years on their back - but I won't tell anybody).

> However, in my experience even
>  the realtime-specific (RT) parameters are not reliably realtime...
>  sometimes they are, sometimes they're delayed. This page explains the URL
>  and parameters you can choose from:
> http://www.etraderzone.com/free-scripts/50-yahoo-stock-quotes.htmlOtherwise
> , you basically just read in a text stream, split up the resulting
> strings by comma, and access the resulting stringlists by index (relative
>  to the parameters you chose to download).

Most of that can be found in KMyMoney's KEquityUpdateDlg and WebPriceQuote
classes. This code is even capable to extract the price information from a
'shiny' web-page. Maybe, it gives you a couple of ideas.

In that respect, not only stock price quotes are interesting but also currency
conversion rates. So please keep those in mind as well.

Having a price backend which collects and stores all those things would be a
cool thing to have. It can even be used by different applications (having
KMyMoney and Skrooge in mind) using a well defined (D-Bus?) interface.

Whenever you have a proposal/plan/spec available, I am happy to discuss it
with you. If you have questions, let us know. We'll try to figure out an
answer.