[Kde-finance-apps] Defining the scope of the work during Season of KDE - Alkimia DBus service

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Tue May 18 03:50:04 CEST 2010

On Monday, May 17, 2010 08:09:57 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> Hello,
> see my comments below.
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Klaas Freitag <freitag at kde.org> wrote:
> > Am Samstag 15 Mai 2010 05:12:01 schrieb Alvaro Soliverez:
> > Hiho,
[...]
> >> The first service will receive transaction information:
> >> - Source application
> >
> > Application id - an per application unique ID
> >
> >> - Date
> >
> > What about a due date?
> >
> >> - Category or classification of the transaction (music, grocery, salary,
> >> etc.) - Memo
> >> - Amount

Is the category analogous to a Payee, or does this get into double entry
splits at this point?

[...]
> >> Alkimia should store the data either in SQLite or Akonadi, and it
> >> should have an event log.

I would vote for Akonadi, since they have already done the heavy lifting on
the database front. It doesn't support SQLite nor embedded MySQL, but "should"
work for every other QSQL driver, officially supporting MySQL and PostgreSQL.

> >> The amount field might get tricky, because representing money is
> >> usually a problem. We have a class in KMyMoney that we can use for
> >> that purpose. Renaming it and slashing some KMM-specific functionality
> >> should be no problem.
> >
> > ACK
> >
> >> It's basically to double put together, so
> >> storing in a database should be no problem either.
> >
> > I don't really understand that sentence ;-)
>
> My mistake, I mean "2 double variables put together"

It's actually 2 qint64 variables, since money is representable as a rational
number. There is very little KMM specific code in it, as far as I remember, so
it should be easy to use.

[...]

Thanks guys, for taking up the task. This looks like it will be an interesting
project.

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas