[Kde-finance-apps] Alkimia Database Class -First Commit

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 05:55:42 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Fernando Vilas <fvilas at iname.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 21, 2010 13:45:09 Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > on Monday 21 June 2010 18:53:07 Mukesh Gupta wrote:
> > > Hello Friends,
> > >
> > > My first commit to  for alkimia is here
> > >
> https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/office/alkimia/alkdbus/Alkr
> > > ec ord/
> > >
> > > It consists of alkrecord class which will handle query and register
> > > functions for the dbus server.Will add more functionality soon.The file
> > >
> > > :ALK_DBASE: file is the sqlie database which is initially populated
> with
> > >
> [snip lots of useful feedback]
> >

> > So much for now.  I know, Rome wasn't built in one day, but I want to
> give
> > as much feedback as possible.
>
> [snip lots more of useful feedback]

I see you added some printf statement, probably for debug. That's a good
indication that you have to add unit tests, which can provide you better on
what you are doing. We cannot stress enough how important unit testing is.
Some people will even add the unit tests first and the main code later, and
they can tell when they are done with coding because all tests pass.

About the connection, one way to do it is keeping the connection open along
the life of the class, checking that's it's effectively open every time you
are going to use it. As Fernando said, opening and closing connections every
time is very expensive.

I guess you have a lot to do based on this feedback. Please don't hesitate
to ask if there's anything you don't quite understand or that you have
doubts about.

The good things about FOSS is that people can see your code and comment it.
The bad thing is that people can see your code and comment it. You are doing
great and you'll fix these nuisances easily.

Regards,
Alvaro