[Kde-finance-apps] Action items

Arnaud Dupuis a.dupuis at infinityperl.org
Sun Jan 24 20:40:13 CET 2010

Le samedi 23 janvier 2010 19:35:38, Alvaro Soliverez a écrit :

> - Spring meeting
> The idea at this point is to have a 3-4 days meeting this spring.
> Since it will be our first, our guess is that it will be more of an
> analysis, brainstorming meeting that a development/hacking one.
> Ideally, it will set the foundation for more developer sprints over
> time.

If it's not scheduled to close of my incoming baby release (from my wife toolchain) I'll be there.

> - Code reuse/plugins
> This has been mentioned by several people already and I see this as an
> opportunity to cross swords and see how well we work together in the
> short term.
> For example, both Skrooge and KMyMoney have some kind of online
> banking and some kind of online quote (for shares, mutual funds, etc)
> Adding reminders to PIM applications via Akonadi is another common feature.
>
> What if we move all those features to a common set of code, and each
> application only handles the communication between the app and the
> plugin?
> I see this as similar to what KIPI plugins do today for Digikam,
> Gwenview, et al.
>
> - Workflow Integration
> Otherwise known as FinanceStack. This is an idea that came up some
> months ago, to integrate our apps.
> eg. KMyMoney records a sale transaction, the invoice is issued by
> Kraft, and when it is payed, it is informed back to KMM.
>
> All the common data and the necessary flow logic would be stored in a
> common engine, where the apps can connect to get data from/to other
> finance apps.
> I see this kind of as the Akonadi of KDE Finance.

Like when we talked about this same matter few months ago I am still motivated for that. Even if I'm not part of KMyMoney, Kraft or Skrooge team I have a huge interest in those two ideas ! If a coder is needed outside those teams you can count me in. Altough I believe that teams that are actually doing financial matters in their apps have to agree on a common set of data/workflows/interfaces. Indeed, not involved teams have less feedback to provide and if they can help for the implementation and by giving their needs and ideas I think KMM/Kraft/Skrooge/AnyOtherFinancialApp should lead the software designing debat.

> Are there any other subjects you think we should discuss in the short term?
Only one that we discussed previously : are we thinking about something KDE exclusive or Qt based ? What I mean is : do we want to take KDE or Qt as a technical basis ?

--
Arnaud Dupuis
http://www.infinityperl.org