[Kde-finance-apps] Welcome

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Jan 21 08:39:14 CET 2010

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 22:31:39 Klaas Freitag wrote:

> Hey Alvaro,
>
> thank you very much for driving this that we now finally have this
> forum, let's make good use of it :-)

A big thank you from my end also.  I currently just don't have the time to do
it myself, so I very much appreciate your work on this.

> > I think one of the first issues we have to tackle is the meeting of KDE
> > Finance.
> >
> > There have been talks about doing a meeting of KDE Finance this
> > spring. (Northern Hemisphere)
>
> Agreed. I think we should safely release our first KDE 4 versions (for
> KKMyMoney and Kraft, I am not sure about the others) and after that go
> for the meeting.

My impressions currently is, that the releases are somewhat independent from a
first meeting. Certainly, this might change in the future.

> > I think either Berlin or Frankfurt would be fine, wherever we find a
> > suitable place to gather, have beer and a warm bed, and to me it's
> > really the same to fly 12000KM or 12500KM.
>
> Boah, thats a long way to go...
>
> I think we will have good support from the KDE e.V. for that, finance
> and location wise if we ask. Usually the KDE e.V. reimburses 80% of
> travel- and accomodation costs, if we follow some simple rules like
> for example that we inform the community of what happened.
>
> Probably our first meeting would be more a talking than coding meeting,
> or do we think we can do much of brainstorming and planing of what we
> want to achieve on this list? At least we should try. I would suggest
> to meet over the weekend (arrive at friday night, drink, work saturday
> and sunday).

Right. Coding is not the main focus of this meeting. Regarding the
participants, I think we should also attract folks from the non-technical
area (e.g. promo/marketing, maybe usability).

> First steps would be to gather a list of people who are supposed to
> participate and how much financial support we roughly need from the
> KDE e.V. and inform the e.V. board and ask them if there is still budget.
> I am volunteering for that.
>
> The location usually is not a problem, we have some nice standing offers
> like Linuxhotel or the KDE e.V. office. We also could meet in Nuremberg
> at the openSUSE office.

If over a weekend, I can certainly offer our office space here near Frankfurt
(coffee included :) ) There are hotels around in walking distance and their
weekend rates should be reasonable - I can check on that if needed.  All we
have to make sure is, that there's no large trade show in Frankfurt.

OK, I have to admit Frankfurt as location for the meeting would cut down my
travel time and expenses to 0.

@Klaas: Can the e.V. issue 'Spendenquittungen' (don't know if donation receipt
is the right translation). I'm asking, because I could try to look out for
further sponsors ;)

> > So, please get involved and subscribed everyone you think should be at
> > this meeting,
>
> Yes, the very first step ;-)

Maybe, we can get a quick statement from everybody who's here on the list. So
far I counted three.

Thomas Baumgart

Linux - Life is too short for reboots