[Kde-extra-gear] add_definitions in common CMakeLists.txt

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jul 3 19:10:51 CEST 2008

Ian Monroe wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> Ian Monroe wrote:
>>>So is it OK If I remove this line from multimedia/CMakeLists.txt:
>>>add_definitions (${QT_DEFINITIONS} ${KDE4_DEFINITIONS})
>>>
>>>I'll make sure that the module still compiles.
>>
>> That's not exactly a good idea. If you remove that line, you don't get
>> the debug/release setting, for instance. (It's controlled by a
>> #define)
>
>The idea is that each application in extragear/multimedia can add it
>in its own CMakeLists.txt file. There's little reason for
>multimedia/CMakeLIsts.txt (IMO), but there's really no reason for it
>to force defines on all parts of all the applications in
>extragear/multimedia.

It should be a collection of add_directory, yes.

But doing the basic KDE4 lookup can't hurt. That's my point here.

Extragear is for KDE applications... Qt-only will suffer slightly.

>> Those above should be safe. Can you tell us what the issues are? We
>> should address each one individually.
>
>The QtScript generator uses Qt's STL functions. It's probably possible
>to use reset the definitons and such, but such hacks aren't really
>needed; multimedia/CMakeLists.txt just shouldn't add the defines to
>begin with.

You need to add the QT_STL definition anyways, since some of us build Qt
without STL. Without the QT_STL definition, qconfig.h will default to
QT_NO_STL.

>> Also, you can have the same effect by moving the add_directory above
>> the add_definitions.
>
>That's impossible. We like that Amarok can be compiled independently
>without extragear/multimedia. Let's us all avoid svn co -N checkouts
>and such.

I meant that you can move the add_subdirectory(amarok) in the top-level
CMakeLists.txt, thereby bypassing the standard KDE setup. That will make
sure both builds (from extragear/multimedia and from amarok) are the
same.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358