[Kde-extra-gear] BadWindow error saving Panel settings (KioskTool + Kubuntu)

Alex Lewis goobie81 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:44:04 CET 2008

I'm loving Kiosktool, I've used to it to deploy dozens of Linux desk have
run out of ideas trying to fix this and i struggled to find anything on
Google about it

I'm using kiosk tool to manage a fleet of desktops, and for the most part it
works beautifully.

However occasionally Kiosk tool starts giving me BadWindow errors and from
then on i can never add the Desktop Preview applet or the Taskbar applet.

Originally i thought it was an issue with the way i was pushing out the kde
profiles. After making changes in the Kiosk tool i went back in and the
changes weren't there.

The console has this error:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20
  Minor opcode: 0
  Resource id: 0x2600193
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20
  Minor opcode: 0
  Resource id: 0x2600193
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20
  Minor opcode: 0
  Resource id: 0x2600193

I have attached the 4 screenshots to the show the process i am going through

1. Setup Panel,
2. Add Applet to Panel, Taskbar, Drag and add, Save.
3. Background error
4. Setup Panel again. Not there! :(

root at ubuntu:~# kiosktool -v
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.9
KIOSK Admin Tool: 1.0

root at ubuntu:~# uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

Thanks!

--
Alex