[Kde-extra-gear] Farewell, so long, the four is coming ...

Hubinger Christian chubinger at irrsinnig.org
Wed Apr 18 14:11:22 CEST 2007

Helio Chissini de Castro schrieb:
> Ok
>
> Let's put some deadline and that's will be the final decision.
> I'm opening trunk of kde extragear to KDE 4 in exclusively state on day after
> finish the official freeze of kdelibs. No discussion on this. Someone needs
> take a position, and following a quote of one of commit of dfaure's "things
> becoming confused on extragear."
> So i'm taking position now.
>
> During this time, i planned a cleanup in applications as well, so i'll be
> moving all current trunk for branches/extragear/kde3 and will let on trunk
> only the apps effectively maintained, and new one's waiting to enter on kde 4
> life.

Hi,

As I'm not very active on this list (just posted a few release announces
yet) i'd like to let you know who i am, i'm the maintainer of
KMyFirewall which is currently hosted in extragear.

So my opinion to this is that i fully agree with you about the move to a
kde3 branch as (don't know if i'm the only one here) i activly maintain
KMF but on a very unregular base, meaning that i more or less try to
keep the app up to date with the all over state on KDE and do some
feature implementations from time to time e.g. i'll for shure port to
kde4 but only once kde4 is released (i do not have the time to maintain
me a snapshot installation).

So for KMF it would be absolutely ok if you move it to the kde3 branch
and remove it from trunk (kde4 stuff). But once i've ported it i would
of cource like to see it again in the trunk, well no wonder ;)

> What i need from you all you keg application developers:
>
> - Is there some special request, non related to your apps only, but for whole
> module ?
>
> - What kind of information you would like to see in extragear docs to help you
> on the transition ( i.e. how to handle move on svn, new buildsystem, etc..  )

form me the buldsystem is the most important info, as i'm not activly
working with development releases of KDE i do no nothing about it yet.

> - What kind of information you would like to see in extragear docs, if you are
> a newcomer on extragear module.
>
> - Should we commit ourselves to the ( not well ) implementated idea of STABLE
> tags ?

I'd welcome this very much as at least for me it was not allways clear
how i should handle larger changes to may app (branch or not to brach?)
so from my point of view - a yes please do so.

greetings from sunny vienna,
chris