[Kde-extra-gear] Farewell, so long, the four is coming ...

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Thu Apr 19 16:06:32 CEST 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > During this time, i planned a cleanup in applications as well, so i'll be
> > moving all current trunk for branches/extragear/kde3 and will let on
> > trunk only the apps effectively maintained, and new one's waiting to
> > enter on kde 4 life.
>
> In case of K3b I think it would be ok to move trunk to kde3, but please let
> me do that. After 1.1 I will start the KDE4 port and, thus, move back to
> trunk. Sounds good?

Done deal, is up to you decide in yout app as usual :-)

> > - Should we commit ourselves to the ( not well ) implementated idea of
> > STABLE tags ? I, and suspect Aseigo, want that as a "yes", since we still
> > plan to launch apps packages. And how we will package this apps ? By app
> > or by module ?
>
> I am already using the stable tag branch for K3b but not the tag. I don't
> like the idea of an extragear package. K3b should only be released by me,
> please.

So, let's explain one of the ideas
The idea is not us pick the package, the idea is release a set of last stable
packages, so during the new KDE release, we will launch a "module" containing
all latest released tarbals made by developers. So, as example, if you
releases k3b 2.0 in september and KDE will be released in October, for
convenience, we will have a package extragear-multimedia containing the 2.0
release independently ( or a link for your official package ), doesn't matter
if you are already working on  2.1 or later. The package will be just for
easy target of packagers.
Of course, the discussion is here to improve or change the system, the only
sure thing about this is that i will release a extragear package per module,
how will be done is one of this mail targets to solve :-)

[]'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
KDE Developer