[Kde-extra-gear] [Kde-imaging] Gwenview maintainership

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Wed Dec 13 00:53:06 CET 2006

Le Dimanche 10 Décembre 2006 23:54, Angelo Naselli a écrit :
> > I have been maintaining this project for six years, that's quite long. I
> > think it's time for me to acknowledge that I exhausted my interest in
> > maintaining and improving Gwenview.
> >
> > During these six years, Gwenview managed to attract quite a few users,
> > but
>
> Is that you got from Gwenview survey? I can't believe it, Mandriva and Suse
> set it as default kde viewer, I can't believe there are few users.

I guess my sentence was a bit ambiguous. There are in fact a lot of Gwenview
users, unfortunately there are very few developers.

> > failed to attract any dedicated developers. Nevertheless, I do hope that
>
> That's true, I followed gv in these six years and i cannot say anything
> since also my contribution was very little and it's a long time i haven't
> written any peace of code for you.

Your contribution have been greatly appreciated. Gwenview wouldn't be where it
is in Mandriva without you, so don't feel guilty :-)

> I do hope you're going to take your time and let's say giving up developing
> for a while, but i do hope again you aren't going to let gwenview die.

I certainly do not want to see Gwenview die, I really hope someone will pick
it up. For now, I just don't feel like working on it. One should never say
never though, so this doesn't mean I won't work on Gwenview anymore.

I think I am a bit fed up with all the (very necessary) non-coding tasks
involved in managing a project on my free time. I am sure you know what I
mean, since you've been doing exactly this kind of work on KIPI.

For now I would like to become back an occasional contributor to other
projects, working on one-evening-hacks to scratch personal itches with other
software feels more appealing. I guess I need a break. How long should it
last I can't tell.

Aurélien