[Kde-extra-gear] extragear insanity again

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 15:30:31 CEST 2005

   At aKademy I decided to check out extragear graphics to build Kst.  The
checkout was, IIRC, over 200MB.  Can I ask again why we don't put a separate
toplevel and admin on each app individually?  We could still keep the
toplevel structure in a sense:

extragear/
extragear/graphics
extragear/graphics/digikam {/admin/ configure.in.in etc}
extragear/graphics/kst {/admin/ configure.in.in etc}

Then if a user or developer only wants one app, it can easily be checked out
with one svn command and 150MB of other stuff doesn't come with it.  The only
downside is that toplevel updates have to be propagated to each app.  This is
a small amount of work and small price to pay for making extragear MUCH more
useful.

If there are users who want to build whole subtrees, we could put a simple
toplevel makefile that just recurses into subdirectories.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/