[Kde-extra-gear] extragear packages from branch or tag?

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Tue Jul 5 14:11:53 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 05:10, Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> IMHO we don't need the stable tag. A branch makes way more sense.
> But I think one does not have to use the stable branch if it's too much
> work. Isn't that part of the extragear "spirit"? The thing will never be
> released as a big package.

Yes, will be..
I'm been talking about this a month or two, and aaron touch the subject again
last month.

> So if you don't want to do all the stable branch
> moving and don't need a stable branch anyway (for example small apps) just
> stick to the old ways: develop in trunk, short string freeze, release,
> develop in trunk, ....
Ok you don't need. It's up to you..
The idea is:
"put an easy place for the poor guy who will done the HUGE package and release
during KDE release cycle to increase extragear visibility."
In this subject, i am the poor guy and yes, i'm planning to do this right on
3.4.2 release.
As a packager for years, i would be glad have just one tarball to pick when i
have a kDE release than scavenging all sites.
As a user that compiles with sources, downloading every tarball is a thing
that he never will do.
So despite the three well know apps, amarok, k3b and konversation, which have
his crowd and enough people lookint at, there's a plenty other applications
that neem some love. Things like kiosktool, kdebluetooth, kile as an example
aren't very known for the majority and i think would made a huge success
( ok, this tools already apears on LM sometimes, but not that all regular
users read and not in whole world ) gaining some showup.

Sebastian, i know you are pissed with this, many people are, but believe me,
it's not a stupid idea, serve as his propose.. I just want make extragear
more visible.

I just need review all branch/tag choice. Will be difficult live with both for
this purpose.

Peace and Love

--
Helio Chissini de Castro