[Kde-extra-gear] Re: Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 12:27:40 CEST 2004

Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 10:11, Martin Köbele wrote:
>> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 09:54, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:

>> > It is not about necessity, it is about convenience.
>>
>> isn't it most convinient for the packager to just grab the latest
>> release?
>
> Ok, one last try: Helios is _telling_ us that at this moment getting the
> latest release is not easy to do. You can say: oh, you just have to do
> this or that. Sure, it is possible, not easy. You can't _just grab_ the
> latest release, you have to find it first ;-)

As another packager, may I point out that we (FreeBSD) *never* package out
of CVS, only ever from release tarballs.   I don't believe this is
especially unusual, from talking to other packagers, it may even be the
more common case.   We occasionally push forward patches for bugfixes,
usually if the maintainer points one out that fixes a reported bug, but if
the bug being fixed is big, should the maintainer not be making a point
release?

Do as you like with the CVS modules, but please continue to make proper
tarballs and releases.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts