[Kde-extra-gear] Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 13:34:14 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 05:16, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> > isn't it most convinient for the packager to just grab the latest
> > release?
>
> Ok, one last try: Helios is _telling_ us that at this moment getting the
> latest release is not easy to do. You can say: oh, you just have to do this
> or that. Sure, it is possible, not easy. You can't _just grab_ the latest
> release, you have to find it first ;-)

Yep, i'am packager too.
And yes too, i'm digging all stable tags/branch for all apps on keg and
sometimes i was unable to find any ( amarok and k3b was a exception on this
case since they are heavily developed ), so i packaged and delivered as non
supported tools without have any sure of working.

But as Jeroen said, we just need a easy way to get last stable branch. And a
uniform way.
I need sometime handle near distro releases more than 100 packages, since we
haven't too much man power to packaging, and in some cases ( like KDE ) i
have a auto build system that get kdemodules from cvs, generate auto* tools
configures, modify spec for new releases, compile and if compilation is ok,
commit new revision for our buildsystem, or send me a mail with the error.
Currently my build point to KDE_3_3_BRANCH, and have one for kdevelop and
koffice. Guess what i did with keg ? Always HEAD :-(
I did a special packages sometime ago with cvs HEAD keg with amarok_branch
tree inside instead of HEAD and same to k3b_branch.
IS a hell. Sometimes makes me take a long time on just prepare build than
actualy fix something or report failures.

Cheers []'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
KDE Developer