[Kde-extra-gear] Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 13:49:03 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 18:58, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> A branch is not very practical, but a tag would work. The problem is that
> you can't have a branch available under two different names as far as I
> know. So if I were to create a kiosktool_1_0 branch, it would NOT be
> possible to have that branch known as keg_release_branch at the same time.
> On the other hand, if I have tagged a release as kiosktool_1_0_release, I
> can also tag that same release as keg_latest_release and later move the
> latter to match the kiosktool_1_1_release.
>
> An alternative would be to agree to have a LATEST_STABLE_BRANCH file in
> each application directory (in CVS HEAD) that contains the name of the
> latest stable branch.

Heh, Waldo always thinking on tech side first :-)
Well, i didn't think yet on the tech problems, but let's do some <evil mode>
ideas.

( please people, don't make this a flamewar yet, we need see results about
first idea )
All this branch/tag/whatever dificulties you have pointed with CVS can be
wasily solved with <warning evil evil> Subversion.
But, wait. No blame me yet.
This idea was a second proposal if the module management idea is accepted.
( there's no point to change if we stay with current keg-1,2,3 )
Since we need a good way to experiment subversion, and doesn't matter stay
with CVS or change for another, move the modules for new naming and rearrange
apps will be a delicated. So keg could be the test frontend to help decide
stay with CVS or move to subversion on kde 4
We already had good experience here at Conectiva, Samba team made sucessfull
move too, so there's no reasons to afraid this.
And second, make all this "branch/tag" thing easy as hell. Just a "svn cp"
from desired release to branch, including solution of cheap copy, less disk
use, easy management and even possibility of "symlinks' between many modules.

So, let's wait and see where's things head and we raise the CVS tag solution
or move to Subversion.

[]'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro