[Kde-extra-gear] Re: Re: Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò dgp85 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 6 13:02:03 CEST 2004

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Yes, but some applications have (like KDE itself) stable branches where
> bugfixes get backported, as a distribution you would like to have the last
> stable release PLUS all the bufixes that the developer considered safe
> enough for the stable branch. There are also applications that only tag
> releases in the HEAD branch and don't have a stable branch (such as
> kiosktool at the moment) in those cases the tarballs will do just fine.
As far as I can see I don't think this is so needed on keg, mainly for two
reasons:

- We aren't binded to deadlines for the releases, we release in a totally
asynchronous mode, so if there's many bugfixes to backport, a new release
can be done also after two weeks (or two days if urgents ;) )
- Quite all the applications are 'small' apps, where bugfixes aren't so much
needed, and for which the vanilla tarballs should be enough for final users
as well as distributions.

KDE is way more big than all the keg apps all together, and has synchronous
releases, there it makes sense the stable branch.
I'm talking for KNetLoad, I don't think I'll need a stable branch.

Regards,
--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
dgp85 at users.sourceforge.net - http://flameeyes.web.ctonet.it/