[Kde-extra-gear] Re: Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 12:38:46 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 12:20, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> > Ok, one last try: Helios is _telling_ us that at this moment getting the
> > latest release is not easy to do. You can say: oh, you just have to do
> > this or that. Sure, it is possible, not easy. You can't _just grab_ the
> > latest release, you have to find it first ;-)
>
> I'm still thinking why a packager should download the 'stable' release from
> CVS, I think all we are releasing a tarball with the stable sources on our
> site, at least I'm.

Yes, but some applications have (like KDE itself) stable branches where
bugfixes get backported, as a distribution you would like to have the last
stable release PLUS all the bufixes that the developer considered safe enough
for the stable branch. There are also applications that only tag releases in
the HEAD branch and don't have a stable branch (such as kiosktool at the
moment) in those cases the tarballs will do just fine.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |  Wanted: Talented KDE developer  |  bastian at suse.com