[Kde-extra-gear] Re: Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Jeroen Wijnhout wijnhout at science.uva.nl
Wed Oct 6 09:30:08 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 00:11, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> As first thing: thanks Helio for the work you're going to do, and thanks
> also for Klas for the good work done until now :)
>
> Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> > move keg-1,2,3 to keg-multimedia, keg-utilities, etc..
>
> I'm quite interested in this, at the moment the keg-1,2,3 system is quite
> difficult for a 'final user' to undestand.
>
> > Create a keg_release_branch !
>
> About this I'm not too much happy: as far as I understood from the keg
> policies, these aren't "packages", but just modules.
> I don't think it's a good thing that the distributions can take a single
> great package and then compile them.

They don't have to do that. Using a single tag name doesn't mean they have to
check out the whole module. Suppose SuSE wants to package Kile, then they
have to find out what the stable branch is (in this case branch_1_6, but they
don't know that). Then they want to package another app, so they have to find
out where the latest stable version is at. It would be much more convenient
if they could just do:
cvs co -r latest_greatest keg-office/kile
cvs co -r latest_greatest keg-multimedia/amarok

> I don't think this is the good way to do it, at least: it some distribution
> packages the keg at release of, say, kde 3.3.1, and then an app (maybe
> knetload) releases a version one week later, we'll have a conflict between
> the keg's version and the new version.
>
> Also, users which founds a complete new meta-package will found different
> media players, image viewers, even two different passwords managers
> (nothing about you Michael, it's only a theory :).
>
> At at last, think about gentoo.. if the keg packages will be packaged all
> together, we'll have a single package with a lot of unuseful (because too
> much) and unrequested stuff.

Helio is not proposing to package them together, he is merely proposing a way
to make packagers find stuff easier.

best,
Jeroen