[Kde-extra-gear] Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Tue Oct 5 22:53:25 CEST 2004

Hi

After proper Klas introductions, now it's time to put some questions in the
air to make new decisions.
Some of this can be related to kde-[core]-devel threads, but let's start here
in the  list, since all you are the maintainers fo keg apps and of course
have more decision power in this subjects.
So, the proposals:

1 - CRITICAL ONE - About keg modules new layout
Recent thread suggests a new way to divide keg modules. One of most appreciate
sugestions is move keg-1,2,3 to keg-multimedia, keg-utilities, etc..
First valid point of Klas is this will make keg looks like an alternative KDE
modules, and people start to package this modules and complain about have 5
image apps, 4 mm players, etc, and break the original idea of keg
The point is, i like this idea, and i think is very difficult for catch apps
searching keg-1,2,3, and with this system a guy that was looking for an
alternative mm player easily will find it. But Klas have a strong point and i
think this will looks like a kde module replacement, which leads a confusion
and is exactly what we don't want.
Let's just add one more variable on the equations which is if we start to get
more and more apps on keg ( and that's exactly what we want ), easier we will
reach keg-1,2,3,4,5,6,7..... imagine the nightmare, for everyone from the guy
want's to pick up some tool to the maintainer ( actually me ) to find where
the app is to fix the buildsystem ( or do you expect i have all things on my
mind :-)
So, this is time to everyone reflects and let's try to get a consensus, and
after, if was valid, let's move the decision, or the state of discussion to
main devel lists.

2 - Please have mercy of packagers :-)
Well, everyone knows that proposit of keg is just a place for apps, and apps
maintainers edcide when release ( or not ) launch their apps, not tied to KDE
releases at all.
well, this is good, but this is bad from the point of distributions. Good or
not, the first point of visibility for all our apps comes with a
distribution, whatever they are. And people moves more of their attention for
KDE and their apps ( hint, hint: even keg apps ) on the KDE releases,so, i
have a simple and usefull proposal:

Create a keg_release_branch !

Why this ? Main keg modules stay untouchable on their current behaviour. But
this branch will have the last stable release of your application, doesn't
matter if yuo decide that those two years old code was the most stable or the
bleeding edge was tha last stable. You decide when, how, which, everything
So, at the point some packager decides pick up keg modules, unless for some
purposes they decide using main HEAD cvs, he will always have the
keg_release_branch to package.
And the rules would be simple:
- Stable code must have a check for minimal or fixed kde release and if check
i not valid, disable the compilation
- Have a defined MACRO with the stable version numbering ( hint, hint: not all
apps have this in a uniform way to reach ) to packagers put the version of
app in package, and not kde release version
- Have to add a switch on configure to define --with-app=yes.no with "no" by
default, making easy just turn on just the apps needed, even for newcomers
that get this keg module for compile a application ( Is really hard for
beginners understand the "cvs co -l keg; cvs co keg/app; cd keg; cvs co
admin; make -f Makefile.cvs, ./configure". you know what i'm talking )

So, let's two of major decision to decide.
Remember, after all this we even can stay with current buildsystem, so this
still in the proposal mode.

Depending on which way things go, i have an addendum for both proposals, since
the decisions could lead a important new things.

Thanks for take time and read my long and starnge english mail and hope
someone understand my points :-)

[]'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
KDE Project South America Primary Contact