[Kde-extra-gear] Fwd: Re: libkipi in keg3

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Sat Mar 13 20:42:11 CET 2004

I'm not yet compatible with KMail ;-)

Subject: Re: libkipi in keg3
Date: Saturday 13 March 2004 20:35
From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at kde.org>
To: Klas Kalaß <klas.kalass at gmx.de>

On Saturday 13 March 2004 20:20, you wrote:
| Am Samstag 13 März 2004 11:30 schrieb Aurelien Gateau:
| > Hi all!
| >
| > I'm currently chatting with Jesper from Kimdaba on IRC about libkipi, KDE
| > Image Plugin Interface. This is a joint effort from Digikam, Kimdaba,
| > Showimg and Gwenview to share image plugins. We are planning to develop
| > this on keg3 which seems to be the best place for it right now. Klass,
| > can you give us the green light?
|
| I am not very keen on the idea to put libraries in the KDE Extra Gear.
| Having libraries in the Extra Gear leads to strange dependency situations,
| as has happened with taglib. No other module should depend on any keg-*
| module. Taglib has moved to kdesupport now.
|
| Maybe you should ask on core-devel if you can put libkipi in kdesupport,
| too.

How is kdesupport shipped?
Isn't it shipped together with KDE, which would mean different release scheme
than KEG.

Three of the four application participating in this is already in KEG, and it
would make things much easier for all of us if we had the lib in KEG too,
alternativly we would have to move it to SF, which indeed would be bad too
for dependencies.

How about these two proposals for a solution:
1) do some CVS module magic like the admin module, which is checked out
together with other modules (I dont know if that would work tho)
2) move all the three applications in question to keg3 or even
keg-imageviewers. I dont know for sure yet which applications would be in
this project, but it is for sure gwenview, kimdaba, and I think showimg, and
then of course digikam, which considers moving from SF to KEG.
If they are all in the same module there are no dependencies things

Kind Regards
Jesper.

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/KimDaBa might be the answer.