[Kde-extra-gear] PwManager-1.0 Stable Release

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Tue Jul 27 18:19:34 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm proud to announce the PwManager 1.0 Stable release [1].
Release Candidate 2 is released as Stable without any changes.

Development of the PwManager Password Manager began in April 2003.
The oldest file in the first PwM release is dated on April 29th. Planning
for this password manager began somewhere in the middle of April.
So we can say that it took more or less 14 Months of development from the
first line of code to a stable and feature rich password manager.

I want to thank everyone, who contributed to this project. A few of them
are called in the About box. But all the others, who contributed very
helpful bugreports and feature requests should not be forgotten here.
Thank you!
Thanks to the whole KDE Team, the ExtraGear and i18n-doc people.
Thanks to the PwManager Packagers, who create packages for the different
distributions.
PwManager wouldn't be that, that it is today, if nobody helped me.
Finally, thanks to the sourceforge team for providing excellent web and
ftp space.

What about the future, you may ask.
Well, there's already heavy development in CVS HEAD branch.
"Entry meta information" is partially implemented already.
Some code got rewritten to execute faster.
A usable password generator got implemented partially. (Yea, this
generator crap in 1.0 is, ... crap).
Support for more and stronger crypto and hashing algorithms got
implemented (via libgcrypt).
Some needed security improvements were made: Memory locking, random
padding, ... . And there's still a lot to do.
A pwsafe import/export interface module is in development. I hope I can
commit something soon.

I'm currently making plans about implementing an (optional) daemonized
mode. Will be something like the KWallet interface, but with completely
other internals. There's no code written and my idea is only a little
scribbling on a piece of paper, yet. I'm not a person who talks too much
about things that don't exist, so I'll stop here. ;)

Support for nested Categories is also planned.

If you have more suggestions, please look at the TODO list [2] and if you
don't find your idea there, please email and discuss it with me.
Preferrably on the PwManager mailing list.

The PwManager homepage is:
http://passwordmanager.sourceforge.net/

As PwManager is part of KDE ExtraGear 3, it has a page on KEG, too:
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/pwmanager.php

[1] TODO: URL to stable.
[2] http://extragear.kde.org/apps/pwmanager.php#todo

- --