[Kde-events] Merchandising

Wendy Van Craen wendy.vancraen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 23:15:02 CET 2007

On 13-mrt-07, at 13:49, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> We have some possible merchandising partners, for example
> Kernelconcepts (a
> German company we've worked together with in the past). I talked
> with Wendy
> (who did a great job at FOSDEM, thanks Wendy!) a bit about this,
> and she has
> great ideas how to improve KDE's merchandising. Wendy, maybe you
> could give
> an overview of how you think what can and should be improved?

I certainly am a bit a creative thinker, so I'll do my best to do
some creative brainstorming on the merchandising issue.  Maybé not
all the items I will mention below will be realisable, but before
saying "no" to something, perhaps it's better to think further on the
subject.

I would also like to say that all below are just idea's and my opions
and views on KDE, so comment are welcome.

The best concepts are often grown out of the worst ideas.

Before I start there are some other issues I would love to write:
Merchandising is a powerfull tool if you know how to use it.  It is
even more powerfull if there's a great and strong concept behind it.
And it's obvious that KDE has this tools.  Now only remains the
question how are we gonna use them?

On the Fosdem event I saw some really nice KDE merchandising stuff,
but they were merely used to sell and not really used as a strong
marketing-item.

KDE has two very strong signs: the KDE-sign and the masquotte Konqi.
Both are very different and none of both should be underestimated.
I'll explain:
At FOSDEM I discovered there's a large difference in target groups.
There are developpers, switchers, potential switchers, merchandising
collectors, kids, company or businespeople, teachers and schools,
parents, lovers, ... are these are potential merchandising buyers and
ask a different approach.

How?  Each logo attracks other people
KDE-logo = developpers, business, collectors, guys and men in
general, switchers, schools (higher education)
Konqi = kids, parents, lovers, girls, teenagers, lower-schools

So I'll try to use this knowledge and translate it into merchandising.

Here are some of my crazy idea's:

We should seperate us more from the other open source-merchandising.
This by selling more got-to-have-goodies which are strongly attached
to our target groups.  If we have cooler merchandising, people would
love to buy it, if they come to the booth to buy it, we can give them
information about KDE, a free KDE-cd and this creates very powerfull
mouth-to-mouth advertising.

MORE KID-MERCHANDISING
KDE has a lot of kids-project, but not really kiddi-merchandising
(only stuffed konqi)  a lot of daddies asked about it.  And I really
believe there's a market for it.  You know what they say:  the
younger the better!

I don't know if someone knows the merchandising-hit Diddle?  Konqi
absolutely has thesame power.  I'm certainly not saying we should go
the Diddle-way, but there's a lot of unused power in Konqi we could
bring into practice.

- stuffed Konqi should stay and maybé we should try to sell  a little
more of them, though not to much, it has to keep his rare-object-
abilities
    I really like it  like it is, but there is a baby-proof stuf in
the market which is very very soft and makes teddybears look even
sweeter.  Maybé we could inform about the possibilities to make Konqi
even softer?  (If you don't know what I mean, I'll bring my most
favorite stuffed teddybear to aKademy)

- baby t-shirts with konqi on it
    a lot of questions from daddies was a t-shirt from the nice
dragon Konqi. What would seem nice is a white baby t-shirt with a
large smiling konqi on it.  The green part of konqi is stuffed (very
short hairy  and soft substance on t-shirt)
maybe for the most little ones whe could at little wings on the back
of the shirt
maybe it could look as if Konqi is jumping out of the t-shirt,
and at the back of the t-shirt you'll see Konqi-tail, the tail curls
towards the front of t-shirt

- large Konqi stickers with relief and/or without

- Konqi mug with/without relief

- Professor Konqi education animation theme on computer (= more for
educational developpers)

- Konqi piggy-bank (all money you save with using KDE free software
you can put in the piggy bank and use for something better)

- stuffed Konqi bagpack
- stuffe Konqi hand doll

MORE GIRLY MERCHANDISING

Girls love Konqi and boys love to buy Konqi for their girlfriend.

- stuffed Konqi, mug and sticker are also here important

- the keyring with Konqi also was popular

- what I'm missing is girly t-shirts, centered in the waist, nice V-nek
   Ideas: black shirt with a roughly sketch of Konqi on it in white,
style: punk - rock, maybé at the back smalle sketch of wings and
beneath  it a slogan like "Konqi is cool" or "Konqi rocks"  The rough
drawing could also be a Konqi with a guitar or whatever.

Also girl t-shirts with KDE logo are welcome of course.  The logo
shouldn't be to big.

MORE CREATIVE ART ON T-SHIRT

- I hate to tell, but in my opinion the KDE t-shirts are rather
boring.  We should think of some really originall concepts and
drawings to make nice shirts.  Best way to do this is to go looking
in shops like We, Zara, Shopping halls, ...  and see what's in the
market.  Then think of some nice idea's.

What  could be nice is a large KDE logo roughly stitched on the
shirt.  (back or front)
If we go further We could even say: cut out the letters KDE, stitch
blue stuf behing it and paint under the KDE-letters "Desktop
Environment"

- black t-shirt with on front chest in smalle letters "KDE desktop
environment" or a cool slogan and on back below the neck centered a
small KDE-logo

- a nice sweater from KDE - black or dark blue with on back large KDE
logo or Konqi  on front a slogan in small letters

- black or dark blue skarf (this idea came to me when I was almost
freezing in the hallway on Fosdem because I was just wearing a thin
sweater)

OTHER IDEAS

http://www.multigift.be
http://www.harogifts.be/
this site gives some nice ideas we could consider:

- anti-stress Konqi or KDE
- KDE longdrink glass
- large sticker for on laptop (my boyfriend Bart once printed a large
KDE-logo sticker and stuck it on his laptop, seems that people love it)
- laptop protection sleeve
- larger stickers
- "I use KDE " removable sticker for car-window
- screan cleaning cloth with logo
- usb sensor lock with logo (computer automatic locks when your not
near it)
- cool/hot pack (its a gelly substance in a plastick bag with a coin
in it, if you break the coin the substance gets hot, if you boil the
bag all returns to normal and you can start over again - very cheap
and original gadget) -->  "warming up for KDE"
- Konqi stuffed keyring and maybé also one to hand up in your car

GREAT MERCHANDISING

- stuffed Konqi
- Keyrings
- mugs of glass
- Keramiq mugs
- small KDE stickers - although the smalle Konqi sticker also had
some attracktions for kids, most people thought the sticker was to
small for Konqi
- cotton bags

If you want to improve merchandising sell, I made some combinations
on Fosdem and they sold very good.  People could chose to buy a
solely item or buy one item and a cotton bag (to put the item in) and
this would be more advantageous.  stuffed Konqi could only be sold
with a bag.
t-shirts and mugs were mostly sold with bag.  Ofcourse this inquires
some selling skills.