[Kde-events] Linuxtag 2007

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 10:52:45 CEST 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 10:29:32 Joerg Hoh wrote:
> A small review from my point of view:
>
> * the official number of visitors is about 9600 for the whole 4 days, which
> is pretty small. But it may be even high, my personal guess was much lower;
> the booths weren't crowded and not so much people were wandering around
> around. (There was another fair in parallel, and I don't know how they
> distinguished the visitors, I only saw one entrance.)
>
> * We had 3 stations where we showed KDE (1 KDE 4 desktop, one KDE 4 on Mac
> OS X, one showing KDE 3.5); it was obvious that the KDE 4 desktop was most
> crowded; I think it was one of the most interesting things on the Linuxtag,
> we were steadily presenting the features of this version. KDE 4 on Mac was
> also interesting to many visitors showing our confession to portability.
> Next time we should focus on more KDE 4 machines.

Definitely.

I also do think that KDE was the most high-profile project at Linuxtag. We had
something interesting and new to show to various target groups, our booth
looked really sexy and was well-staffed. Kudos!

> * Due to the lack of KDE 4 promo material we had to repeat the features of
> KDE 4 many times. On the next event we urgently need KDE 4 posters and
> flyers showing the benefits of it.
>
> * It's crucial to get hard statements about delivery times to the fair
> ground. Noone of us was there at about 9:30 at the fair ground on the
> second setup day, so the delivery service guy picked it up again and we
> couldn't reach him the whole day, so the boothbox was delivered on the
> first day of the event itself :-(

Agree. But I think it was really just the minor thing that didn't go really
well.

The repetition isn't really a problem, since all those visitor are not the
same. Maybe we should have three or four sets of demopoints, depending on the
target group.

> * Try to get a hotel near to the event. The agency where I booked the rooms
> sent us to a hotel 45 minutes away from the Messe Berlin. Next time we
> should do better.

It wasn't really a problem for me, since I also had to visit the KDAB office
twice, which was close to the hotel. And I like Kreuzberg / Mitte.
You're right, though =)

> Some facts already known about Linuxtag 2008:
>
> It will be again in Berlin, and the deadlines will be much earlier then (I
> heared something about January 1st for call for projects).

Shouldn't be a problem.

I have to add a big thank you to everybody who helped out with making Linuxtag
a huge success.
--
sebas

Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.