[kde-embedded] KDE for Automotive: report 2018W25

Agustin Benito Bethencourt abenito at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 07:46:46 UTC 2018

Hi,

this is a progress report of the KDE for Automotive/embedded initiative.

The latest updates in the KDE software port to YOCTO have gone very smoothly as our
recipes are getting sufficiently generic and we have less and less patches.
* KF5: currently at 5.46.0, 4 pending patches
* Plasma: currently at 5.12.4, 4 pending patches

Volker is waiting for delivery of a new RPI3/display set to finally move beyond an emulator
image and have a real hardware demo in time for Akademy.

Regarding the Akademy talks, there will be a talk at Akademy about this effort, submitted
by Andreas[2]  and a lightning talk from Volker K.

I submitted some months ago a paper to introduce KDE and to provide updates about
our progress in the mobile/embedded space at the Automotive Linux Summit[1]. The talk
was put in the wait list and a little over a week ago I got notified by the content
committee that there was a free spot so I could deliver it. With the help of KDE Promo
Team, I created a slide deck in record time and did the talk yesterday. Around 30 people
attended.

Please check the slides[3].

I am in conversations with AGL to explore the possibility of having somebody from this
Linux Foundation Initiative at Akademy in Vienna.

In terms of promotion, the next goal, shared with KDE Promo Team, should be ELCE (CfP
deadline July 1st)[4] or the AGL All Members Meeting, both taking place in Europe this
autumn.

[1] https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/automotive-linux-summit-2018/program/
schedule/
[2] https://conf.kde.org/en/Akademy2018/
public/events/55
[3] https://www.slideshare.net/toscalix/kde-for-automotive-really-tell-me-more-about-it/
toscalix/kde-for-automotive-really-tell-me-more-about-it
[4] https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/elc-openiot-europe-2018/program/cfp/

Best Regards
--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt