LabPlot & KDE Eco

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Sun Jun 19 09:10:34 BST 2022

Hello Joseph,

On Freitag, 17. Juni 2022 13:25:20 CEST Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my name is Joseph De Veaugh-Geiss. I am Community & Project Manager of
> the KDE Eco initiative, which focuses on eco-certification and energy
> efficiency in the development of Free Software.
>
> I saw at the LabPlot website that this list is the right place to ask
> questions related to the project.
>
> I am writing now because I am interested in finding interested
> participants to help develop plotting and/or statistics tools for energy
> consumption measurements.
>
> In a few weeks in mid/late July (date tbd) we plan to hold a Sprint to
> measure various KDE programs and further develop the tooling for
> automating the measurement process. Would anyone here be interested in
> joining virtually or in person to work on integrating LabPlot into the
> energy consumption tools?
>
> Of course all other KDE projects and developers are very welcome to get
> involved as well :) It would be great to have you join the KDE Eco project!
>
> Some background: In May we held a Sprint to set up a community
> measurement lab at KDAB Berlin to measure the energy consumption of KDE
> and Free Software. You can read about it here:
>
>    https://eco.kde.org/blog/2022-05-30-sprint-lab-setup/
>
> One contributor, Volker Krause, has also been hacking power plugs to
> work as inexpensive power meters. He has been using LabPlot to visualize
> the results. You can read his blog posts here:
>
>    https://volkerkrause.eu/2020/10/17/kde-cheap-power-measurement-tools.html
>
>    https://volkerkrause.eu/2022/05/28/kde-eco-sprint-may-2022.html
>
> Volker mentioned he and Alexander Semke had been in touch, and I wanted
> to follow up on that today :)
>
> I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, I got interested in this topic after
having read the blog posts you mentioned above and I contacted Volker.

It would be really great to perform the analysis and the visualization of the
data collected in these measurements directly in LabPlot. I started looking
already into some use-cases in this area and trying to implement the scenarios
in LabPlot. We'll be happy to implement features, if still missing and
feasible for us, that would be required for this project.

Joining the next sprint sounds like a great idea. Please invite me next time.

Regards,
Alexander