Sonification of KmPlot?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Apr 28 06:39:52 BST 2019

субота, 27 квітня 2019 р. 20:35:19 EEST ви написали:
> > On Apr 27, 2019, at 04:48, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> >
> > субота, 27 квітня 2019 р. 13:49:54 EEST ви написали:
> >> Reading about KmPlot, I'm struck by the idea that it might be a
> >> very interesting starting point for a blind-accessible math tool.
> >> Has any thought been given to creating a version that relies only
> >> on text input and sonified audio output?  Are there any interfaces
> >> that could be co-opted to support this sort of thing?
> >
> > Actually, KmPlot can be completely controlled through DBus. ...
> >
> > KmPlot interface should be accessible using Orca screen reader (not
> > tested).
> So it sounds like there may be text-based ways to get the program to draw
> things, in both batch and interactive modes.  My next question is whether
> there's a way to get at the numerical information that is used to draw the
> plots.  This could then be fed into a user-controllable sonification tool.
>
> Alternatively, the screen images could be fed into The vOICe, but it would
> be better to have more control of which things are presented, and how...
>
> -r

The status bar shows the current pointer position on canvas. If user clicks on
the curve KmPlot makes the pointer got locked to the curve and the status bar
shows the curve coordinates only (including the roots). It is enough to read
these coordinates to get the impression about the curve.

On the other hand, it is enough to right-click on canvas to understand if the
pointer is close to some curve. If there is a curve near the pointer position,
KmPlot shows its context menu which can be read by the screen reader.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri