D15359: When auto-focusing, re-capture if no stars are detected, instead of waiting for user selection.

Eric Dejouhanet noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 9 19:41:59 BST 2018

TallFurryMan added a comment.

  I made a few more tests, I agree with your observation. Using auto-focus and this differential on a no-star frame:

  1. With "auto select star" disabled, procedure runs 1 capture before asking the end-user to select a star.
  2. With "auto select star" enabled, procedure attempts 4 times the analysis of 4 captures before aborting.
  3. With "full frame" enabled, procedure attempts 4 times the analysis of 4 captures before aborting.

  Although I'm not sure the end-user will wait 16 frames before aborting, I understand the original behavior to keep is to ask the end-user select a star when no stars are detected in case 2.

  Based on your proposal to have a "wait" flag from D-Bus, I propose to detect the use of the D-Bus method to decide whether the end-user should be involved or not, and to enable or disable "auto select star" for this run.
  If the auto-focus procedure was started by the D-Bus method, Focus should abort after X attempts of 4 captures (and we push the decision on whether to wait for clouds to go away to the Scheduler).
  If the auto-focus procedure was started by the UI button, Focus should ask the end-user to select a star after 4 attempts of 4 captures (and we discuss how many attempts are OK for the end-user to be requested).

  This will only slightly change this differential. What do you think?

REPOSITORY
  R321 KStars