Parley status

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Aug 9 20:31:14 UTC 2017

El dimecres, 9 d’agost de 2017, a les 16:37:56 CEST, René Fritz va escriure:
> Hello

Hi

> I'm interested in the status and the future of Parley.
>
> In the last weeks I evaluated many vocabulary lerning solutions/programs for
> my kid. As a long time KDE user I choosed Parley at first. It works ok but
> has some bugs which needs to be fixed for serious use. Also I find the user
> interface confusing in some parts, espacially for kids.
>
> So I tried other program and websites. In short: they are all not very good
> in my opinion. Here and there are good things but I didn't find an overall
> satisfying solution.
> Finally I still see a potential in Parley, I like the functionality and I
> have many (rough) ideas what could be improved.
>
> For some time now I wanted to dig a little bit into kde development, so I'm
> thinking to start working on Parley. But the question is if it's worth it.
>
> What do you think?

If you're interested in improving it, it's a very good thing :)

> Is Parley dead?

https://cgit.kde.org/parley.git/log/

There's not much development going on, but it gets released every month, so
no, it's not dead.

> I might join the KDE Edu sprint 2017, if it's ok to come there for a Qt/KDE
> beginner.

That would be awesome :)

> I'm a software developer, mainly using web technologies like php, js,
> typescript. In the past I did a bit C, Modula 2, Oberon.
>
> Is there somebody around Hannover (Germany) who can give me an introduction
> to kde development?

There's several KDE developers in Germany but i'm not good with geography so
no idea if anyone is around Hannover.

Cheers,
  Albert