Shadow-rendering glitch in 4.14.1-Parley due to software rendering mode on MacPorts' KDE 4.13.3?

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Fri Nov 21 07:49:41 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

On 21 Nov 2014, at 04:27 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the earlier noise-message.  I hit the wrong button.
:)

> What you need, to suppress the raster graphics patch in KApplication for OS X, is:
> $ RasterOff=true open /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/parley.app --args -graphicssystem native
> $ RasterOff=true open /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/parley.app --args -graphicssystem OpenGL

Ah, ok, didn’t know about this environment variable! Well, both results didn’t change
using this, though, i.e. the app still rendered wrongly.

> insert "KApplication::doNotUseRaster();" (e.g. in main.cpp), somewhere before
> Parley creates the KApplication object.

Yeah, I remembered somehow, but after so many months I had just not been able to
find the correct email of yours from back then. Can you believe it.
There had been SO much traffic…

> Not really.  Could be a layout-handling problem (manner of use of QLayout in Parley
> or the implementation of QLayout in OS X). The white rectangle seems to have come
> out too large in the OS X implementation of Parley.

Well, the white rectangle is perhaps not coming out too large, who knows. I learnt
that Inge had already changed the sizing of the tile (and thus its shadow) in the
version he used to produce the Linux screenshot…

Anyhow, it seems as if we’ve got a real OSX issue here. Strange, as you’re using
also shadows in your gorgeous Palapeli!

I’ll have to introduce a new subpart parley-devel in order to investigate this
further next week.

Thanks Ian for responding.

Greets,
Marko