Some REAl general thoughts on the KDE-EDU world

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 21:13:24 UTC 2014

On Saturday, 2014-03-29, 11:49:28, Wolfgang Romey wrote:

>  In my opinion KDE-EDU has to consider on what hardware the software will
> run. As you probably know, tablet-computer and smartphones are getting more
> and more important as learning devices. And that is a thread to learning,
> as they are more and more closed.

Yes and no.
I agree that the base systems become more closed but most of the mobile
platforms have also started to move away from closing down the application
level too much.

But yes, the overall situation is not as nice as it could be.

> You all know the struggles for the vivaldi tablet, which can not be realized
> as the improv-board can not be realized, as there are not enough orders or
> donations. Both devices would be as open as possible today and embedded in
> the KDE-Community. We would have devices running Plasma-Active and the
> bodega store, which could offer educational software and other material.

I have no information on the Vivalid tablet, my understanding is that it is
moving slowly due to complications with the hardware.

The improv is a really cool idea, but the crowd funding attempt was poorly
executed.
It happend on a totally unknow web site, meaning it doesn't reach the same
number of people as Kickstarter or Indigogo do.
It ignored one of the base principles of crowd funding: perks.
Or at least it didn't when the dot article came out.

Also, if one looks at successful crowd sourcing initatives, an additional
boost is generated by having low base goals and having interesting extension
goals.
Again something that the campaign lacks (or lacked if it has improved since
the dot article).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring